100 Years Ago — 1918
Finstad first local soldier to France
Mrs. J. C. Finstad called at the Times office and directed that her son Paul’s paper be directly mailed to him in France, where he is now stationed with the other members of a machine gun company of the 41st Division. Mr. and Mrs. Finstad have more than done their duty to their country, with three sons in the army and a daughter awaiting a call as a Red Cross nurse.
90 Years Ago — 1928
Laclede favors cheese factory
Dewey Huot spent Tuesday in the vicinity of Laclede visiting farmers and dairymen in regard to the proposed cheese factory in Priest River. He returned with favorable reports, stating that considerable interest has developed since the meeting of the local commercial club (chamber of commerce) discussed it.
80 Years Ago — 1938
On changing river names
The executive committee of the Geographic Board has reportedly settled the long-standing dispute over the name of the Clark Fork Columbia River and the Pend Oreille River by a decision to separate the two at Pend Oreille Lake. The Canadian Board decided to apply the name Pend Oreille River to the relatively short portion of the stream lying north of the boundary some time ago. The name Clark Fork Columbia River is still the proper name for the stream above Pend Oreille Lake.
70 Years Ago — 1948
Faculty gains exclusive resort
Faculty members of Washington State College at Pullman will have an exclusive recreational resort for summer vacations on Priest Lake. College President Dr. Wilson Compton announced the purchase of the William Muehle resort on the east shore at the extreme north end of the lake near the Thoroughfare.
60 Years Ago — 1958
March to fight polio
A Mothers’ March on Polio will be held Jan. 30, 7 to 8 p.m., climaxing the annual March of Dimes month. The drive is headed again this year by the Panhandle Junior Federated Club. The march will begin at the sound of the fire siren, and volunteer workers will make a house-to-house canvass throughout the city. Everyone willing to contribute to this worthy cause is asked to turn on their porch light or place a candle or light in the window.
50 Years Ago — 1968
Mona Lenker places third
Miss Priest River, Mona Lenker, became third runner-up in the Idaho Junior Miss Pageant at Moscow last Saturday in an excitement-packed program of competition for the coveted state title. Mona re-enacted the dramatic portrayal of Ann Boleyn that won her the top spot in the Priest River pageant last year.
40 Years Ago — 1978
Destroying the competition
Amanda McDonald, Sheila Naccarato, Jeanine Balison, Lynda Oscarson, Kelli Williams, and Robin Bellah destroyed the Sandpoint girls in their latest outing, 32-15, and they did it with hustling and sound basketball fundamentals.
30 Years Ago — 1988
Snowcat races in the sun
It was hard to tell if the beautiful weekend weather at the Priest Lake snowmobile races was friend or foe. Race organizers and drivers speculated that the sun kept people away and deteriorated the track. The fans who were present enjoyed watching the races in the shirt-sleeve sunshine.
20 Years Ago — 1998
Woman killed in accident
A Priest River woman was killed Saturday when the car in which she was riding lost control and flipped into a creek. Mary Gilchrist, 62, and her husband, Doug, were driving 15 miles southeast of Libby, Mont., when their 1991 Cadillac hit slush on a curve, causing the vehicle to veer right and roll over, coming to rest on its top in Swamp Creek, according to Sgt. Fowle of the Montana highway patrol. The Gilchrists were taken to St. John’s Hospital, but she was pronounced dead after CPR attempts failed.
10 Years Ago — 2008
Landmark building collapses
The recent storm and record snowfall were already the talk of the town, but when the Brass Alley’s roof collapsed Sunday evening that became the hot topic in Priest River. The former Runck’s Garage brick building had most of the roof collapse under the weight of the snow. A motor home belonging to city councilman Doug Wagner and a boat that was stored were covered by debris. The building is owned by Allen and Sharon Mohler, who opened up the luncheon/antique store several years ago.
—Compiled by MARYLYN CORK